Monday, July 11, 2011

Brother

Big Brothers
Older brothers
I have three.
They tormented
and teased me
relentlessly.

They held me as a babe,
fussed over me I hear.
One even shot me eye
and he became full of fear.

My eldest brother
has the bluest eyes.
He is quiet and gentle
and so very wise.

He has a battle he is
fighting and it's looks grim.
My heart is aching for
his family and for him.

I know the father is watching
and it's all part of the plan.
It still hurts knowing
that pancreatic cancer will
take such a great man.

I love you Arlan.   Mom said you were so proud to have a baby sister.  She said you looked over and watched out for me.  I loved that you let me drive your car up and down the driveway when I was 15.
I loved to watch you ride horses and wild machines.  You were so fun to camp with.  You would take us all on crazy four wheeler rides and blaze trails where no machine had ever gone before.  You played
practical jokes on us all and you were the best engineer around when it came to hanging up the tarp at camp so we would not get rained on.  YOU were Mr. Prepared for anything.  I think you learned that from dad.  You were our camp cook and clean up guy.  You saved our truck from disaster and fixed it at camp.  You grinned and laughed so hard around the camp fire that your face went beet red.  You could fix anything.  Your framing and construction skills will never be matched.  You were there helping anybody in the family that needed it.  You are made of steel and yet this awful disease is attacking your body way too soon.  You became Mr. Tough love and held firm to what you believed in.  You adore your sweet Claudia and have been there for her everyday.  Oh and the best compliment you paid me was when you said I was just like MOM.   I love you brother.  You're not dying of cancer, you just get to learn how to live with cancer and I pray with all of my heart that the lord will help take care of the pain and will allow you to linger with us for a little longer. 

3 comments:

Kent and Wendy said...

That's a very nice tribute Char! Where does this brother live?

Carolee said...

That is beautiful. I pray for his recovery and for his family.

northslopegang said...

thanks, my brother lives in Lindon.
We are praying for a miracle. Love you both very much. Carolee congrats on the new grandaughter:)