Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Monk in the making
This year at school I have been assigned to work with the kindergarten and first grade. The students are at risk and not on their grade level for reading. They are being monitored and some get referred to Case Management for possible Special Education Services. Currently I push in to the kindergarten classes. I have found that getting low on a chair and trying to fit under their tables can be a real challenge. So far I've been able to get down low and actually stand up afterwards. I currently work with 30 kindergartners. They are a hand full. In first grade the students are pulled out into my room and I do a variety of reading activities to support them. I have one student that is a real character and has OCD. He is constantly rearranging my books on the shelf to be in a certain order, he has to sit in the same chair, he only wants to get a "red" sticker and then insists on counting them everyday, when he places his stickers on his writing journal they are very neat and in order, not like the other kids who place them everywhere. On crazy hair day his mother had to spray his hair red, yes..he wears lots of red and black colors to school, he is constantly rearranging his letter cards in the trays that we use so that they are lined up appropriately He cracks me up, not only do I deal with his OCD, he also has ADHD. I keep thinking about the TV series 'Monk' and wonder if this kid will be like Adrian Monk. Thank goodness he doesn't have a germ phobia...yet. Funny. In this same reading group I have two other students who are very needy and when the group is finished I am ready for a nap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Aw, poor kid that has to live like that. I'm sure dealing with all that takes a lot of energy.
Good for you! I like that you "enjoy" the peculiarity of each kid.
Silly kids....
Post a Comment