Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's in your freezer?

This blog was inspired by Nat's friend Yanette. Actually I don't endorse having gross things in your freezer. However, at this moment I have a confession to make. We have a hind quarter of a buffalo sitting on a shelf. It is skinned!! At one point Josh had a frozen duck or some sort of bird. Anyhow there was an animal in there. (feathers and all) There is another odd freezer occupant. It is an old mink collar from my mom's sweater. She told me that if I kept it frozen the mink collar would withstand time. What do you think? Yeah we're pretty weird people. I also have a frozen Hawaiian lei that looks green and fresh. Please don't bring on Dr. Phil!!!! I couldn't take on his harassment and I think that I'll barely withstand what ya'll have to offer in that department. Robert and Carl please be nice okay?

3 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

Just within the last couple of weeks Jessica and I were talking about the old wives tale about keeping panty-hose in the freezer which somehow miraculously improves the chemical composition of them to make them last longer. I recall from my childhood that my mom was a believer in this urban legend. At one of Kyle's baseball games I asked my mom about it and sure enough she had a pair of hose in the freezer.

At least mystery items in the freezer stay frozen. At our house the real problem is the left-overs that get left in the fridge. After a biology class at the Y I know how much fungi is growing on food and I can't stomach any left-overs past two days old. Jessica gets too grossed out to throw out the moldy stuff so it waits in the fridge until I actually notice it and in a moment of desperation I throw the stuff out, usually container and all.

I remember Grandma Carlson's deep chest freezer. It had all kinds of mysteries in it, but along with the mysteries were the otter pops. Mmm.

My mom used to buy Hostess treats or ice cream sandwiches and keep them in the freezer in the garage. I remember sneaking out there and wolfing down a couple treats at a time...eating them so quickly that I never really could enjoy them, yet still enjoying the guilty pleasure. I never got in trouble for it and I'm sure my brothers and my mom were doing the same thing as I was...so it was just an unspoken thing.

northslopegang said...

Hmmm. guess I'll try the panty hose thing to. Natalie has a real thing about bacteria growing in the fridge. She learned that in college as well. As for Grandma's freezer....it became unplugged while Fred was taking care of Grandma and he threw most of the food away.

Big Morty said...

We recently got a garage freezer thanks to a nice tax refund. It hasn't filled up yet, except once when I kept all the food for a scout camp out in there for the few days before the trip. It's pretty much a place for all the Sam's club bulk items that don't fit in the regular freezer.
Having delivered home appliances before I am somewhat wary for the day when a mouse climbs into the motor and dies, leaving an unidentifiable stink upon my garage and frozen foods.
I also recently saw a report that said 80% of psychopathic murderers keep frozen buffalo, ducks, and animal fur in their freezers. It's still unclear which situation causes the other.