Random events that I remember from my childhood==This is long and boring for some but it has been therapeutic for me. Thanks for reading.
1. I remember........ being teased very badly by my brothers. They would pretend they were dead until I started to cry hysterically and then start to laugh at me. Then they would do it all over again and I would fall for their routine.
2. My older brothers, the twins hated to babysit their little sister. How bad can it get? I was the only one. They said that I smeared my diaper on the walls and it was just disgusting. Hmmm.....I really don't remember that one personally.
3. I used to run away from home and hide in the neighbors cherry orchard. My friends and I ate lots of cherries. I didn't think that my mom and dad would worry about me. One time the owner was spraying cherries and we all thought we were being gassed and about to die. I remember holding my breath so long that I nearly passed out. When I finally decided to come home my parents had been looking all over for me and were ready to call the cops. The one and only time my father spanked me was that day. He took off his belt and gave me three good whacks. I deserved it. I scared them to death. I also used to hide in my closet for hours and nobody could find me.
4. I remember running home after the civil air raid drills. They would sound the alarm and you were supposed to run all the way home. I was five and ran the whole two miles.
5. Walking home from school one day a car pulled up and the people asked me if I wanted a ride.
The people in the car looked scary to me so I ran all the way back to school and told my teacher that someone was trying to kidnap me. I don't know how I got home. Maybe I reacted this way due to the fact that very often they would show "stranger danger" movies all the time. Good grief was I that traumatized?
6. My mother was an excellent seamstress. She sewed with perfection. She made all of my clothes and I would look into my closet thinking how lucky I was to have such pretty dresses to wear to school
7. When I was six my brothers were shooting birds with slingshots. I was playing outside with my friend and we went running. Next thing I know was that something had hit me. My brother Scott, (whom I love dearly) told me to tell MOM that I had fallen on a stick. My eye hurt so I rubbed it like crazy. My eye was a solid mass of blood and my dad was out of town running the green river. To make a long story shorter....I had surgery and lots of eye exams. I am very blessed to not have lost the eye completely.
I miss my grandparents and all the family gatherings with my cousins. G&G O. lived next door and we always had snacks at their home. They had a silver tinsel tree with blue ornaments and would come over every christmas morning. Some years when my dad had to be to work at 6:00 am we would have christmas then run over and wake them up. I miss them alot. We always had thanksgiving at their home. My grandma started the pie tradition. She would let me help her make the pie dough. We only made a few pies. My mom is the one that would make lots and lots of pies. My dad doesn't like cake so for most desserts it was pie. Guess that is why I love
to make pies during the holidays. It brings back so many fond memories. My pie recipe didn't come from by grandma, only the way how to handle the dough. Actually an old roommate of mine shared with me the perfect pie recipe that I have used since I was about 21 years if age.
Christmas Eve was held at my Grandpa and Grandma Warnicks home. We did the usual gift exchange until the family was so large we couldn't do it anymore A swedish dinner was always served. I can't spell the word but we always had some sort of fish in a white sauce served over mashed potatoes. Sounds gross but it was really yummy and we all looked forward to honoring our ancestors by having that meal every year. After awhile my aunt took over and we always went to her house. Usually my brothers and I got to spend a week at their house during the holidays and we spent our time putting puzzles together, sledding, eating and just having lots of fun. She had a neat loft with pull down stairs. The girls got to stay in the loft. One time my brother Steven had an accident and cut his arm very badly on those stairs.
We carry on the christmas eve dinner tradition at our home. But we eat whatever sounds good, eat by red candle light. The Red Candle is a swedish tradition also. The light represents christ and the color represents his sacrifice for us.
My mother would hold a Christmas Open House on Christmas day. We would bake for weeks and prepare lots of yummy treats. Most of our relatives lived close by and would come to our home. We hastily gathered our gifts and would lay them out carefully on our beds for our cousins to see what we had gotten. We did alot of visiting and eating all day long.
I miss my mother's holiday baking, especially her divinity. It is truly divine. I've tried several times to try and make it like her but haven't got there yet. I miss the snowball fights with my grandma ostergaard who would chase us all over trying to hit us. I miss sitting between by grandparents at church and getting pink mints or some sort of treat from grandpa's pocket. I always tried to wrinkle his skin and see how long the wrinkles would stay in place.
I love that I have such sweet memories. I love all my relatives, my husband and cherish my children and their spouses. I hope your memories are wonderful as well.
3 comments:
Great memories! Thanks for sharing.
life is a collection of memories. keep making 'em :)
Oh memory lane. Thanks for sharing. I like closing my eyes and imagining what it would have been like to know GGO's. You make me real through my memories of Grandpa and Grandma Warnick and my sweet Grandpa and Grandma O's. (a laugh and a tear of joy) Wish somethings wouldn't have changed so. I liked getting together with everyone for Christmas parties too! But you know I could use a most perfect recipe for pie. wink wink.
Post a Comment