Thursday, September 11, 2008

In loving Memory of Nila Carlson

Yesterday Nila was released from this earthly existence. She no longer suffers and is free of any pain. What a blessing to endure to the end the way that she did. First of all I need to admit that I don't like the term "in-law" because of the negative connotation that is associated with it. My other mom. Nila has totally accepted me into the family and loved me like her own. Today I would like to share some of my favorite memories of Nila. This may end up being a work in progress. She always welcomed you into her home. She was positive and uplifting to be around. She encouraged you to always be your best. I loved playing the dictionary game with her and how she would break out in a silly song. That night totally caught me off guard. We all laughed so hard about it. I loved how she would always have a treat waiting for you and made sure that you had some goodies for the road. I appreciate the fact that she patiently taught my sweetheart how to read and that she loved to read to the grandchildren. I will miss her hot rolls, Christmas wreaths and oatmeal bread. I loved how she and I totally loved black licorice. I loved how she welcomed each new baby into the family and the look on her face as she cherished the time to get to know her new grandchild. I loved hearing the stories in the van on the way to a family reunion and her laughter about the silly things that she recalled doing in her life. I loved her example of service. She never really wanted anything, only to be surrounded by her family. I loved how she always inquired about how each family member was doing and how tickled she would be when we would come to visit. I loved her patience when all the family would gather at her home and the look on her face watching the grandchildren play in the front yard and in the ditch. I loved the birthday cards and valentines that would come. I loved how she would share the gospel with us. I felt honored being in her presence. She truly was a grand lady with a little spunk!! Thanks Nila, my other mom. I truly love you for everything !!!

2 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

Amen to all that! I look forward to seeing you and yours this weekend. It was nice of Grandma to provide this family reunion for us all.

Chan N Michael said...

Auntie Char you and Unc' Fred are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you. I'm also glad that you had such a wonderful relationship with your other mom. Most people aren't so lucky to have a MIL> they care so much about.