Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A little bit here and there

Yesterday as I came to work there was a darling handwritten note left by a student that I work with. He is a first grader and has been a little spit fire lately. I mentioned to his classroom teacher that he sure has been talking alot. Most first graders have to tell you all about their mornings, how so and so spit on them, that their mommy and their step mommy are having babies today, they explain when they are sad or that they have to move because their mommy and daddy can't live in the same house anymore. Those kind of stories break my heart. I hear many stories each day.

I don't always get a note and this note is not anything extraordinary. (Except that his handwriting has improved so much) But he saw it sitting on my desk and was so excited that I had seen it and proudly pointed it out to me. It reads: Dear Mrs. Carlson, I am sorry that I have not been behavins. I will talk less! I don't always get a letter of apology. I could tell that someone had talked with him and I thought that it had been his teacher. I was surprised when his mother came with him to my class to make sure that he was behaving. I appreciated this little stinker!!!

It really works well for children when there is support at home. I agreed with Obama with what he said last night with regard to parents and education. I do see everyday the positive outcomes of parents who take an active role in helping children with their homework and other aspects of education. It really does make a difference.
(I'm sure my nephew will elaborate more on his speech in a more eloquent way than myself.)

1 comment:

Dixie Packer said...

how sweet! i love it when you get to watch these kids learn and grow.